Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fun times.

For the past couple of days, I had a lump on my breast that at first, didn't really bother me. However, by Tuesday, I was in such excruciating pain from it that it made sleeping difficult. By Wednesday, I wanted to vomit from the pain. I left work early at 4pm and headed to the Urgent Care near my home.

I got there at 4:45pm. I walked in, filled out paperwork, and was almost immediately seen.

The nurse took my vitals, and then brought me into a private room. When I showed her what I was talking about, her face went blank, and all she said was, "Oh my God. Let me get the doctor for you, dear."

In came the doctor, took a look at it, and said to the nurse, "Draw me up some lidocaine."

Nurse: "Are we going to open it up?"
Doctor: "Yes, we have to."

I knew what that meant. The doctor came, wiped the area clean (which had started out the size of a half-dollar and was now the size of half a dollar bill) with a Betadine solution then said, "it's gonna be a pinch and a burn" as he injected lidocaine into my breast.

Next thing you know, he has a scalpel and is opening me up. I couldn't feel the scalpel, but I could feel warm liquid running out, down my ribs and onto the exam table. The look on the nurse's face was of horror. The doctor said, " pain at that part" as he started pushing and moving my skin around.

The nurse said, "that's A LOT of pus!" *gross*

The nurse moved towards my head and made a "this is gonna hurt" face as the doctor said, "ok, this is going to be the most uncomfortable part....I'm sorry."

By "uncomfortable" he meant VERY PAINFUL!

Basically, as he explained it to me AFTER he was done was that my wound was an infection. It was kind of like a 4-leaf clover when it grows and abscesses. He went in with hemastats and went North, South, East, West, pulling and applying pressure to each area (which was NOT numb) to make sure all of the pus and such was completely out and not hiding. I thought I was going to rip the table off.

All I said was, "ow...ow...ow...ow" as the nurse said, "you're being VERY brave."

I thought he was done, relieved, but he had to go in to another part a second time. FINALLY DONE WITH THAT........

He packed my open wound with iodine-soaked gauze and then covered it with gauze and tape.

I was in such pain that the nurse had to help me up from the table. I headed home (bra-less) with prescriptions for two antibiotics, 800 mg Ibuprofen, and Hydrocodone.

Today I thought I'd be better, but I woke up this morning in agony. I called into work (I was hoping to be to work today), and I spent 90% of my day in bed, recovering.

I go tomorrow to have my bandage changed, and I hope that he tells me how to change it at home because I am OCD when it comes to wounds and keeping them clean.

No comments: