Friday, July 18, 2008

May the angels guide you home: Jo Stafford

Most well-known for singing "I'll be seeing you" and "I'll walk alone," Jo Stafford sang with Tommy Dorsey's band for several years. She sold more than 25 million albums. However, this honey-voiced songbird passed away Wednesday, July 16th at the ripe age of 90.

During WWII, she received the nickname of "GI JO" from the servicemen whose hearts she won with sentimental ballads. Stafford's last recording was in 1970, but many of her songs are still used in movie soundtracks to this day.

Another classic beauty laid to rest.



November 12, 1917 - July 16, 2008

Lyrics from one of her songs, "No Other Love:"

No Other Love can warm my heart

Now that I've known the comfort of your arms

No other love.

Oh the sweet contentment that I find with you

Every TimeEvery Time.

No other lips could want you more

For I was born to glory in your kiss.

Forever yours.

I was blessed with love to love you

Til the stars burn out above you

Til the moon is but a silver shell

No other love,

Let no other love

Know the wonder of your spell.

No comments: