Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Inspiring -ectomies.

You know how people say how some people are just inspiring. Whether or not they truly mean inspiring or just a good person, we may never know; however, this weekend, I did meet someone who was truly inspiring. Being around her was like a breath of fresh air, like a calm AFTER a storm, and I felt myself breathe a little easier, smile a little more, and realize that no matter how many trials or bumps in the road I thought I had, there's always someone out there who has it worse.

She was just your typical-looking woman: short in stature, petite, shorts, t-shirt, flip flops. She walked over to the group of us standing there talking, and she hugged two people with a joyful "hey! how are you?!" I was introduced to her, and she began answering questions regarding how she was feeling, how she was doing, etc.

"I'm doing okay. I'm taking it easy, but I'm pushing it. I really am. But you know what? If I don't push it, I just won't feel like myself, and I'll start feeling sorry for myself if I don't DO something."

You see she was recovering from a bilateral mastectomy (removal of both breasts) and a complete hysterectomy (removal of uterus and ovaries).

But she was doing okay.

"As far as I see it, guys, I've rewritten my genetic destiny. I've come to terms with that, and I'm okay," she says with a smile at all of us. She had a certain way about her that made you smile. You didn't see her as "poor, dear you recovering from those -ectomies because of cancer." You saw her as "you're so cool and calm and inspiring."

You see, the definition of "inspiring" is as follows:

"to fill with an animating, quickening, or exalting influence."
And that's exactly what she did. She filled us all with joy and even hope. She made us all breathe a little easier, made us worry a little less, and all-in-all just feel good abotu ourselves and life, in general. It was truly an esteemed pleasure running into this person that, although I'll probably never see again, was truly inspiring.

No comments: