Tuesday, March 24, 2009

WTF: Horse "Training"

I recently came across a “horse training” ad on Craigslist (of all places), and I really had to question the author of the ad’s choice in photos. I sent the photo and the ad to FUGLY as well. Transcripts (comments appear in italics; we will call the ad poster “Trainer.”):

Ad:



Title: DO YOU NEED HELP WITH YOUR HORSE O ANY AGE (GEORGIA OR ANYWHERE)

Text:
WITH UNDERSTANDING OF SOLVING YOUR DIFFICULTIES YOU MAY HAVE FROM FOALS TO YOUNG HORSES EVEN OLDER HORSES.
THE WORK I DO IS GUARANTEED .
COWBOYS WILL BRAKE A HORSE AND IT'S SPIRIT, WHERE I WILL TRAIN THE ANIMAL FROM THE GROUND UP NATURALLY .
THE JOY FROM HAVING A HORSE IS, WHEN THERE IS A MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR HORSE FOR YEARS TO COME

** First of all, I had to re-read the first line several times to figure out what the person was trying to say. I see the girl, the horse, the lead rope, the rope around the horse’s midsection, and I think, “how is this any different than ‘cowboys’?”**

ME: What is the rope around the little sorrel's midsection in your photo, and where are you located? Your ad says "Georgia or Anywhere."

** I wanted to get a discussion going on with the “trainer.”**

TRAINER: Hi There
Thanks for YOU question,and I apologize for having left the rope on the colt before taking the picture.
The colt surely can get up anytime he choose ,and was in no way tied up before or after the colt laid down and just relaxed..
This is just an easier way to castrate the colt,with the help of lidecane
Sincerely Gerth
I am in Athens,Ga

** The colt can get up anytime he choose[s]? With a girl lying on top of him, a taut lead rope, and a rope around its midsection? If the colt gets up, he is going to seriously injure the girl….who has the colt’s leg wrapped around her. **

ME: The ad shows a picture of a girl laying down on top of the horse with a lead rope attached to the horse and a rope around the horse's waist. Why is there a photo of a colt being castrated in a training ad?

** I’m confused – he said the colt is being castrated…and he has it in a training ad? Is he a veterinarian, too? **

TRAINER: The colt is not castrated yet ,like the add said it is all about training and understanding of the horse

** “Training and understanding of the horse” – this ought to be good. Next thing you know, they’ll be using “carrot sticks.” **

ME:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought your ad was for horse training? You just said that the rope was on the colt for castration purposes - were you training him to be castrated? I'm slightly confused, and I apologize if I'm insulting you.

TRAINER: I was training the colt to just relax,it is much easier to trim it's hoofs ,this way than asking the colt to stand on 3 legs,no question will insult me,because this might be different and new to YOU,yet I have done it for many moons,with the horses being my best teachers.

** Now we’ve moved onto say that it’s easier to trim a horse’s hooves lying down (or “hoofs,” rather). Weren’t we just talking about castrating? How can you trim a horse’s hooves lying down and ensure they’re even?? Oh, and this “may be new to me.” Why yes…yes it is “new” to me, and not something I’d follow, but I appreciate your condescending tone. **

ME: It is incorrect to teach a horse to lie down to trim its hooves. The reason why horses are trimmed standing on three feet is to ensure an even trim on its hooves and to make sure all four hooves are even.

TRAINER: May I ask YOU a question;"HOW MUCH TIME HAVE YOU SPENT WITH HORSES"????
There is nothing wrong with the questions YOU asked.
Do YOU know that we now have cars being fueled by water,which is a better way than gasoline.
When ever there is a better and safer way,it is the most likely the way leading to success

** Random – cars fueled by water. Nothing like being condescending….once again. **


ME: I have spent twenty plus years with horses, and it's proven that horses are more uncomfortable lying on the ground exposed than standing. It is because they are "prey" animals and have a flight mindset - not a fight mindset.

Forcing them to "Lie down" (aka taut lead rope held under a person, heavy rope tied around the horse’s midsection) for castration or other procedures is "old school" and how cowboys used to do things. There are much better ways than that now.

** Will update, as necessary. This person has another post (several) on Craigslist. He is either from Bangalore or visits there frequently (he has ads placed in Bangalore’s Craigslist. **

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I didn't even notice the lead until you mentioned it! But you're right, it looks way too taut for the colt to be relaxing. More like he's being restrained in some capacity. *shudder* Very strange image. And the grammar errors are easily explained by the location in Bangladore. *blink* How is it that you find all these strange horrible ads?

Jack said...

The guy actually lives in Athens, Georgia now. I think he was originally from Bangladore.

These people advertise on Craigslist. If you ever want a good laugh or need any grammar exercises at any time, feel free to visit Craigslist - especially the pet section...

"To all you HATTERS, get over urself!"

Stuff like that.