Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Penguins.

I have nothing witty to chit chat about so I thought I'd choose penguin society...at random ;)

If I was a penguin, I think I'd be an Emperor Penguin.



I'm not much of a materialistic penguin so being an Adelie penguin is not my forte' (being impressed with rocks)...



...and I don't like jumping or being ostentatious so being a Rockhopper is out of the question, too.



I happen to love penguins, and I always have ever since I was a small child reading "Mr. Popper's Penguin" with "Captain Cook" :)

I think if human society was more like a penguin society, we'd be much better off and nearly Utopian. As far as personality goes, I think I'd be an Adelie penguin based solely on the fact that Adelies are really the only species of penguin that mates for life. Emperor Penguins are often portrayed as doing such (see "Happy Feet"); however, they are only monogamous for a year. They tend to change mates every year.

Facts you might not have known about penguins:

1) Yes, the female lays the egg, and the male watches it in incubation while the female goes hunting. If the female isn't back in a certain time, and the chick has already hatched, the male penguin can produce a curdlike substance to feed the chick.

2) A group of penguins is called a "rookery."

3) Penguins do not fall over if something flies over them.

4) It is illegal to own ANY species of penguin in the world.

5) Penguins can overheat in the Antarctic.

6) There are no penguins at the north pole.

7) Unlike other species, there are no given names for male and female penguins (such as "hens," etc.)


So I would be an Adelie penguin as far as relationships go, and I would be an Emperor penguin for not being materialistic or ostentatious.

No comments: