Monday, June 23, 2008

What do 6.0 and 9.02 have in common? PART ONE

It has been at least ten years since I have extensively ridden a bicycle. Remember the days as kids, "be right there!" We would all just hop on our bikes and go...and ride for an extended period of time? Lay our bikes down on some kid's front yard and go play [video games] with him/her? We rode whatever bikes we had wherever - road or dirt. Hills - no problem - small incline - whatever.

Let's fast forward to present:

"Just hop on our bikes and go" has been replaced by - helmet, biking gloves, proper attire, a pack, did I bring enough water? Should I pack some Cliff Bars? Let's not forget the sunscreen or my ID. Do we have the first aid kit? Do we have some tissues, paper towels, and towels in general? Check, check, check...a mental checklist. That's even before getting the bikes loaded to GO biking.

"Ride for an extended period of time" = 1. the amount of time it takes to bike to the point of just before your legs turning to jelly and wanting to hwarf the bagel you had prior to biking. 2. the amount of time it takes all persons involved in biking excursion to agree upon the turn around point before heading back.

"Lay our bikes down on some kid's front yard" = I think I was the only one that laid my bike down on the grass (albeit gently) this weekend.

"And go play video games" = when returned to the apartment, showered, fed, and returned back to the apartment.

"whatever bikes wherever" = actually going to a bike department and checking out tires, frames, and more to decide what type of riding, where, and for how long. Opting for a new "hybrid" bike - a mountain bike type frame with road bike tires.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The First Ride: The Greenway.

A trail around Alpharetta that is the standard greenway formula - paved "two lane" trail only open to non-motorized vehicles. This would be our first test. Well...my first test. Keith has been riding :) Now I wouldn't say I was scared. I was more anxious and worried that I was going to fall or that something was going to happen leaving me thrown over the handlebars and having to hobble back to the truck. Not the case.

Even better...I found myself tensed up beyond belief and holding my breath. By the time we hit mile marker 3, I was light-headed and caught my breath back from holding my breath. My lofty goals of "yeah - let's do the whole thing" smacked me in the face. Instead I said, "so let's turn around here, and then maybe later on we can do Riverside." Back we head to the truck.

I was all about to just give up when I heard Keith, the last 100 yards or so say, "We're on the stretch now!" and biked to the truck. My gingerly patience getting my bike gloves off turned into "get the hell off my hand!" by the time I hit the other one. I was shaking. I was hot, and I was thirsty, and here was my knight handing me a dampened towel for me.

When reality came back into play, we loaded the bikes back up, and I called my mother to tell her we had done 6 miles. My mother said, "oh well don't bike tomorrow -give yourselves a rest." Ha - I think not. My over-eager confidence came back into play.

"Tomorrow, we're doing the Silver Comet."

No comments: