Monday, June 23, 2008

6.0 + 9.02 = 15.02 Part 2

I should have noted that there are photos of biking that will be posted once I get home to my card reader and when Keith finds his cable, or I am kind enough to bring my card reader over (which I am - lol).

Keith's recap was more...general. This one, though not meant to be, should be "amusing," to say the least.

Sunday started with getting up at 9:30-ish and getting things ready for our departure to the SCT. Keith and I went out and loaded our bikes and were jazzed up to ride the SCT. I made the realization that my factory bike seat would have to be changed. So I meet Bobby, and we load Bobby's bike into the truck, and our merry band of bikers were on our way.

After a brief pre-bike stop to Atlanta Bread Company in Smyrna, we drove over to the Silver Comet Connector. 0.7 miles to the Silver Comet Trailhead at Mavell Road. We prepare all of our gear, and, once again, look like we're some hard-core weekend warrior bicycle riders not to be messed with when, at least in my mind, I'm thinking, don't fall, don't get caught up on the bike, etc.

So we start our voyage. Of course, Keith and Bobby start out WAY ahead of me including down the steep hill - which is fine. I thought to myself, I will enjoy my ride, but as they started pulling away near Mavell Road, that mindset turned to "oh shit," and I started pedalling like I was in the last leg of Tour de France. I see the signs "congested area," but what the Hell and book it past Mavell Road - a determined bicyclist, I am sure is what they thought, but it was more, "hey guys, wait up!"

SCT was more congested than the GreenWay, of course. The SCT is about 60 miles or so and in a great location. There are barely any roads you cross, and when you do, they're mainly two lane roads.

All three of us took turns leading, and at the beginning of the trail, Keith helped Bobby re-do his gears on his bike. Mounted, away we go again. I decide to follow Bobby. Bobby....me.....Keith. As I'm following Bobby, I have a steady rhythm going watching his feet and keeping up with him, pedal for pedal. We get further, and notice...."where's Keith?" I say to Bobby, "So I vote for turning around at whatever 5 miles is." Bobby said, "I'm ready to turn around now," and, for a brief moment, I thought, "Me, too." Keith caught up with us, and we got up to a point right before Hicks Road.

I made the suggestion, "Let's go up to the traffic light and then use that as our turn around point" to which we all agreed so off we went. We pedalled the last bit and stopped for water and a break. After some break and cool down time, we head back...Keith....me.....Bobby. I yell to Keith, "My ass hurts" to which I received a solidarity fist in the air.

It wasn't long before the yam, aka Keith's orange backpack became a blur, and I could no longer see him. "Shit," I thought which was replaced by, "He rocks." So it was Bobby and I who, jokingly, was content at staring at my ass while we headed back. We did well until we had to break our stride to avoid people walking or biking. Then it was slow down, and then rebuild our momentum and pace again. Almost to a good breaking point, I say to Bobby, "I have got to stop - this seat sucks!" so we pulled over for a little bit, I walk with my bike, and I say to Bobby, "I'm telling Keith that I fell, you had to help me, and we needed the first aid kit, but he was nowhere around!" I didn't say that though :) Here Bobby and I go again, and, in the distance, I finally see Keith pulled over looking around the corner of a tree limb for us. We all pull over, drink some more water, and finish our last leg. We're trucking it. We're trying our damnest to finish the trip.

We get to the base of the ginormous hill we zipped down, and I said, "welp, I'm walking it," to which we all did. By the time I got to the top of the hill and the truck, I could feel my heart pounding in my ears and the trademark vomit knot just waiting to make it's grand debut.

We all survived. Here is where we biked:




We went back to the apartment, showered, and headed to The Harp for some food and darts. Ah I love The Harp more and more. Even the sandwiches are good! We play some darts, and I notice my arms are jelly. They revolt against me playing darts. They want no part in it.

We ended the day with bidding Bobby adieu and finish up the day with relaxation, painting, and Guitar Hero III :) It was a great day and an even better weekend.

No comments: