Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Bittersweet Day.

It's a beautiful day in May. I can't believe it's already May. It seems just the other day I was brushing snow off the windshield of my car. Today was different.

Today the sky was beautiful and blue with very scant white clouds. The sun was shining. There was a cool breeze blowing. The birds were chirping. It was a very awe-inspiring day where it felt like the animals were going to break into song like some random Disney movie. That, of course didn't happen.

I took it upon myself to enjoy the weather outside. I grabbed a book I had started reading, a glass of ice water, and I headed outside. Immediately, the cool breeze taunted my skin, and I smiled. Amazing is the only word I can even begin to describe. I sat back in a chair on the patio and opened my book.

My reading was interrupted by random "tap, tap, tap" and another "tap, tap, tap tap." I knew it was coming from the trees, and I looked up into the green boughs for a sign of where it came from. A tiny woodpecker was perched on the side of an oak tree tapping away. I watched the delicate bird work until it flew away.

The breeze blew back through the trees, making the ruffling leaves sound like taffeta petticoats or the waves of the ocean lapping and running up the beach. Oh how I want to go to the beach...and soon. I want to feel the ocean water play around my ankles as my toes dig into the sand. I want to lay on the beach and listen to the rush of the waves. I want that, and I need that.

I digress.

The only thing I could think about is "you" weren't here. There was no one here to enjoy this wonderful day with. It was just me. I just wanted a hammock - the hammock. Somewhere in the back yard where I could just lay there with "you," and talk about random things. We'd talk about places we'd like to visit, we'd talk about goals we had, we'd talk about the wonderful things that we'd be doing this Summer. Spring didn't ever seem to come - it's already fading and moving into Summer, and I don't remember it at all.

I would have loved to have just rolled over and looked at you and spent the entire day do nothing but talking. I am almost positive I would have stolen a kiss from "you," and I would have traced my fingers around your shirt while rambling about the most random things ever.

But it would have been a great afternoon...if "You" were here.

No comments: