Monday, April 28, 2008

Friends as Family.

I always make it known from the get go in any sort of relationship, family, friends, romantic, that my friends are my family. I have two sisters, and I have two brothers. These are the people I have known for as long as five years to nine years. It is known from the get-go that when I say “like a sister” or “like a brother,” I mean it.

My friends are the people that, through thick and thin, have always been there for me, and I have been there for them. Sadly, there is only one friend-family that I see on an almost regular basis, but that’s because he lives around the corner from my house. My other “brother” lives in Texas, is in the middle of having taken his MCATs and is a busy busy busy man. We talk sporadically when either one of us can. One “sister” lives in Auburn, AL where she is pursuing her Doctorate. I sneak down every once in awhile to see her when she’s not busy. She’s now having surgery next week for her back so visits are on hold. However, I am also in her wedding next year and am completely excited about it. My other “sister” lives here in Atlanta as well; however, her work schedule rarely permits any visits with one another. We make do though.

To me, I have four friends. Everyone else that I know are acquaintances. The word “friend” means a lot more to me than “someone you hang out with.” They are persons who know all of your little secrets. They are people who can call you in the middle of the night (and have) when upset about something or need someone to talk to. They are the people that, when you’re in an awful and pissed off mood, you can call up and say, “I’m going driving!” and you, in your pajamas, say “pick me up on your way” (and they have) because you don’t want their fury or anger to cause them to wreck. And you don’t say anything. You sit there, just as someone to be there for them. If they want to vent, they do. They are people that, when you leave their house or apartment, they say, “hey, call me when you get home so I know you got home okay.” They are the people that make take care of you when you’re sick (or drank too much) and want to be sure you’re going to be okay. They are the people that when you have relatives that pass away within a handful of months of one another, and you just aren’t taking it well, say “sure! I’d love to come visit you!” and then make you feel somewhat human again. Most of all, they’re the people that you consider family.

Time with them is never bad and is never time lost.

No comments: