Friday, October 10, 2008

I chose to be an English major to avoid math...

Because those of you that personally know me can appreciate this.

I started baking chocolate chip cookies again. I had used a 101 years old recipe from an old cookbook, and I wasn't pleased with the results. They tasted fine, but I like my chocolate chip cookies to have a little more oomph to them. I went for another recipe for "thick, chewy chocolate chip cookies."

The only difference in this recipe was ZERO white sugar, ALL brown sugar, and you mixed it differently. I decided to double the batch -

3 cups of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, 4 eggs, etc.

I blend it up, pour in the chips, put in teaspoonfuls on a cookie sheet, bake 6 min at 400, and my first batch looked like burnt oatmeal lacies with chocolate chips stuck on top.

"Uh, Andrew, I don't think they're supposed to look like this."

He swore, while holding the couch down watching "The Prestige," that they were fine. I tried again. Same result.

"It's like they're melting immediately, and they are so greasy! Maybe if I add more sugar."

The results were much better and "normal."

Driving into work this morning, I had a baking epiphany. I doubled all of the ingredients...except flour. I had still used 2-1/2 cups of flour - NOT 5. Good thing I didn't cook ALL of the dough. I cooked about 30+ cookies and have about 3 lbs of dough in my fridge. Guess I'll be adding some flour when I bake them tonight or tomorrow morning before camping!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Lol. That's so funny--I did that with a simple meatloaf recipe, except that I wasn't actually changing anything on the recipe. The recipe had been written to accommodate both a wider budget or a tighter budget. Basically, you can use fresh produce or pre-dried, pre-chopped produce. I chose the latter. Unfortunately, I read the amounts for the fresh produce instead of for the dried ones...which means that I used almost eight times as much of the stuff as I actually needed. I had intended to make the meatloaf for Robert because he was in desperate need of comfort food (this was in the height of the horrible stuff from this semester). I thought the meatloaf was...okay...but it wasn't anything to gloat over. Robert loved it, took home the leftovers, and proceeded to eat it for lunch the next two days (which was another one of my intents--meatloaf keeps so well and makes great leftover-lunches). What was great was that Robert wasn't trying to make me feel better (just like Andrew probably wasn't just trying to make you feel better). I love that about men! :) They love what we make them, almost always.

Good luck with the corrections! I'm glad you had leftover and that you were able to figure out the error in time. :)