Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bobbie and Me and the Greenway

We opted to bike the Greenway today, Sunday, starting around 10a.m. Already by that time, it was more humid than our bike last weekend. We had no want of pushing ourselves any harder than an enjoyable bike ride on a new trail. I had started the Greenway a couple of times, but for some reason or another, never got to finish it - which was disheartening.

By the time I get to the Greenway and wait for Bobbie, sweat was pouring off my face. The good thing was wham bam the front tire was back on my bike, brakes popped right back in place-voila. Bobbie arrived shortly before 10 a.m., and we were on our way.

I had told Bobbie that the Greenway had more curves and fun hills and bridges than Silver Comet did. I also warned her of a long hill over to Rock Mill Park that she was looking forward to. We had a blast. It was shady, and the breeze on the path was great. We liked the curves, the hills, the bridges. It made the ride fun. "Holy crap" was said at the hill before crossing over to Rock Mill. We joked about our 21 mile ride where we savored every downhill ride and rode it out until we could hear the click-click-click go to click............click.............click on our bikes wherein Bobbie exclaimed, "this is the slowest speed I have ever gone downhill." There was none of that this weekend.

One thing we noticed on the Greenway different from Silver Comet is that more people cared about their dogs on the Greenway than the Silver Comet Trail. We went past a couple with two dogs. One dog was senior sheltie that the owners had in a pull-behind wagon, and a water bottle and blanket in for him, and they were giving him a ride.

We got up to the "end" of the trail, and we also stopped at the YMCA park just down from Webb Bridge for a mini picnic of, what else? Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches and a quick [cat scratch] game of Tic-Tac-Toe on the playground. After filling up my water bottle, off we go again - back to our cars.

Pedaling along, Bobbie got to use her bell a time or two to move people out of the way. A tiny little "ding," and the seas parted...so to speak. We giggled going up over bridges, we even stopped to take some pictures (of course), and we spoke of Rugby. Save a couple of times where our stride had to break due to inconsiderate bikers or walkers (walking 4 across), things were good.

Let's see, I almost wiped out once. I had to hit the brakes....hard when some little kid and his dad decided to just STOP in the middle of the trail (*insert grumbling face here*)...I had to cruise behind two girls speed walking due to traffic and unfortunately heard their conversation which was along the lines of, "he loves it when I do that to him"...I saw a happy little beagle, and I noticed that some people were friendly, but for the most part, they were in their own little worlds: much different from the Silver Comet people.

I am sure pictures will be posted soon. Next Sunday is "Silver Comet Starter Day," as Bobbie and I have named it. Me, Bobbie, Bobbie's husband, Shane, and Kim will all bike from the Depot to a turn-around spot and back: having a picnic at our turn-around spot.

I'm putting money off to the side each paycheck to buy the seat I want for my bike...well I thought I was, but I think I'm just going to start putting money aside (or use my next bonus) to get a new upgraded bike and new seat :)

No comments: