Thursday, July 24, 2008

"We've since matured from cat fights and slapping."

That's a comment I left for a friend of mine, but I don't know how many of you know this or not.
Once upon a time....




I had an older brother (still do) who took martial arts. I wanted to try something new so back in High School, I started taking martial arts. Yep, that's me on the right - full split (still can) with a 2nd and 3rd place trophy in my first National Tournament.

I found a sport niche that I was actually good at. I started training at least five times a week, and, in the summer, sometimes twice a day. I worked my way on through the ranks, quickly, showing finesse, speed, control, and establishing myself as a follower of the tenets:


Courtesy


Integrity


Perseverance


Self-Control


Indomitable Spirit

I went to many camps - winter camps, etc. and several Regional and National Tournaments. By the time I had reached green belt, (Fourth belt), I was a fighting force to be reckoned with. My first tournament in which I actually sparred (fought), I won two first place trophies. By the time I was brown belt (green, purple, blue, brown), I had made myself #1 in the Nation in sparring (fighting) having never lost a match or a tournament in fighting in all of those belts (appx. 8 months):



Ocean Springs, Regional Tournament, 2nd place forms, 1st place sparring

While I was studying one martial art formally, I picked up some others: Akido, Judo, Jiujitsu, and Muay Thai (traditional). When I stopped formally taking martial arts when I was 20, I was still listed as #1 Woman in the Nation in sparring having creamed my opponents through the ranks and never losing a match.

When I attended North Georgia, I began voluntarily teaching martial arts in the evenings on the drill field as well as self-defense. I signed on to teach basic self-defense/easy to remember self-defense at two private womens' shelters while also acting as a mentor there. I continued that until about 2003 or so.

In 2006, I met Roxy "Balboa," a female MMA fighter on the west coast. She was a trainer at Legends, an MMA center owned by Randy Couture. Roxy was dating Toby, another MMA fighter on the west coast. Now when I say they are MMA fighters, I don't mean casually. They compete up and down the west coast professionally.

I decided I wanted to pick up MMA last year. I contacted a local gym professing knowledge of "MMA." When I called them, I was laughed at and told they don't teach MMA to girls. I called Roxy. Roxy called the gym. Whatever she said, I had an apology phone call and in invite to come train. I declined.

For the past several months, I have been debating whether to get back into martial arts, and, more importantly, MMA. I have the speed, and I have the knock out power (long story). I have just had some walls pop up that prevented it, but I think I've made up my mind. I'm going to pick up MMA and martial arts again.

You have been warned.

No comments: