Friday, July 11, 2008

Helping Others.

Everyday I sit and wonder what I can do to do more. This weekend I have already explained to some of you will be my "think about it" weekend. I don't mean overthink about it as I tend to do sometimes and send myself into this worry fit that, later, I look back and ask, "WTH?" No, this will be some me time between God and I.

Almost on a daily basis I look at my life and wonder how I can do more: do more for me, friends, family, strangers. So I have some skills. I have a fairly great grasp of medical knowledge, can help others in emergency medical situations, can help others that are lost in the woods. I can show others how to do something. I can bake for others, etc. but it never seems like I am doing enough. I look at friends that have helped me in the past, and I am so very grateful for them.

This weekend, God and I are going to have a discussion about my life. I haven't found a career niche that suits me yet. I am appreciative for the career that I have now, and I enjoy it, but I'm just not really helping anyone.

There is an organization that I would like to be more involved in: Blood:Water:Mission. They build wells in obscure locations around small villages in Africa where a clean and safe glass of water is as hot a commodity as the most precious of all diamonds. I encourage others to involve themselves in this organization. It's easy. I plan on starting a fundraising campaign. It's a small campaign that BWM suggests on their site. For one week (or however long), drink only water as an alternate beverage (obviously, still drink milk, and stuff you have to). Instead of drinking Cokes or Juices, drink water. Save the money that you would usually spend on Cokes, etc. and then, when the week (or however long) is over, donate THAT drink money to BWM.

Any takers?

I am also thinking about starting my own group, but I don't know where to start. I'd like to offer art and arts and crafts classes to children in the area. Things that I did as a kid - make a fish kite, make a pottery bowl, paint pictures, do scratch art, etc.
Some walls I run into:

1) Where to have it?
2) Where to get art supplies and funding?
3) What size?
4) When?

No comments: