Monday, June 16, 2008

301, 501, Cricket...Oh My!

Because Wade and Neil would find great humor in this dart adventure, I went to The Harp. A friend of mine, Deaglan's, friends Ray and Mary own it. He had told me awhile back that I would like it, and it's one of his favorite hang outs. Taking a chance on a Saturday night, we said, "hmm...let's try it," and went. Like a homing beacon, my eyes were drawn to my immediate left of two bristle dartboards hanging on the wall. Because the main portion of The Harp was the smoking section, we ventured towards "the light" in the other room.

1st of all, the Snakebite (lager and dry cider) was well done. Not too much cider, which seems to always be the problem elsewhere. I ordered Beef n' Guinness Pie (similar to a Shepherd's Pie). 1st thing: HOT food. Not just oh..it's warm, but HOLY CRAP THAT'S HOT! That'd be a plus...if it was cold outside. 2nd thing: Homemade food. Eating my B&GP, I pulled out a bay leaf. 3rd thing: Steel Tip Darts...two boards...two chalkboards...proper distances.

I hadn't picked up a dart in, what? three years or so since my last time playing with the Toad Liquors or at Shooter's (over off I-20 in Lithonia - since been bought out). My first couple of throws were less than stellar including a wonky dart with a crappy flight hitting the floor a couple of times. I got into the swing of things. FYI: Throwing darts in spiked heels...kind of difficult...not recommended.

The Harp had something that many "Irish Pubs" did not - common camaraderie among its customers. There was a birthday party there for a fifty year old who professed "Car Bombs later" in her conversation. There was "Jack," a seeming regular who played a game of pool with our waiter who had ended his night. These are things you know makes a good place. When a waiter hangs around where he works just because he likes the place. I was told by Deaglan that there is another location in Duluth as well.


FYI:

The Harp
1425 Market Blvd
Ste 1330
Roswell, GA 30076
(770) 645-0118

No comments: