Tuesday, June 17, 2008

100 Blog Topics I Hope You Write: # 83.

Chris Brogan wrote a blog entitled 100 things I hope you write:
http://www.chrisbrogan.com/100-blog-topics-i-hope-you-write/

So I am choosing a number each day on the topics I can write about...or for those of you that know me - each blog post will have a new topic (possibly several posts a day).

#83. Letting Go.

Not knowing Chris personally, I read through some of the blog posts including the list of 100 things. I've realized that the phrase, "Letting Go" has multiple connotations...some of which I will address here as well as give you a little insight into who I am.

When someone says, "letting go" or "just let go," I have an image in my head. It's of someone in a climbing harness on the edge of a cliff, and someone below them saying, "just let go." The climber is safe in their harness, but they can't get out of their head that here they are, hanging on a cliff, scared to "let go."

I compare this to my first rappelling experience at North Georgia. I had no need of "having" to rappel, but I wanted to rappel. After all, this was a military school, and we had a small rappelling wall right there on campus (Mountain Order of Colombo - promotes interest in military mountaineering and small unit infantry tactics). My first rappelling experience wasn't at that rappelling wall - it was on "The 9's." Now let me tell you about "The 9's." Already, my NGC fellows are smiling. "The 9s" are located right after Hwy 9 and Hwy 19/60 split. One portion goes around the mountain towards Blairsville, and the other portion goes around the other side of the mountain (much more mountainous and curvy road) towards Suches.

"The 9s" are, of course, located on the Highway 9 branch heading towards Suches past Trahlyta's Grave (pile of stones said to mark the grave of Trahlyta, a Cherokee princess who knew the location of hidden "youth" springs - custom among Cherokee and whites to lay a rock on the gravesite for good tidings and luck). I digress. As you head on Hwy 9 north, you come to a jagged rockface slathered with grafitti, some small springs popping up over the rocks, and there is "The 9s." We climbed to the top, cabled in, and here I go, I can't let go.

My fingers are turning white gripping the rope and then the edge of the rock. It takes awhile for me to breathe, take a deep breath, and release as my feet push off in my first rappelling jump.

That release. That deep breath. The release of that breath while letting go was one of the best feelings. I was letting go, but I knew I would not fall. That mindset can be applied figuratively as well as literally. Letting go but not falling.

Why is it hard to "let go"? I mean this subject of "it" in the sense of relaxation or stress or frustrations, etc. Why is it that we find ourselves saying things like, "I really need a break" or "a rest would be nice" or "it'd be nice to have a little help," but we don't do anything about it. We don't change, and we can't seem to "let go" of what we need a break or a rest from. Why is this so difficult?

Is it because of the familiarity we have with whatever it is we need to "let go"? Is it because we're comfortable with this "it" that we need to "let go"? Are we afraid of what might happen if we do let go? Yes, yes, and yes, or at least those are my opinions. We gain this familiarity and comfort level with whatever it is. We worry about what it would be like to "let go," and it scares us - similar to the initial push off a rock face when rappelling. The "it" can be positive or negative. Hypothetically speaking of relationships "it" can be your heart, your guard, your ability and want to love this person...but worried about the consequences. The "it" in the negative sense can be a relationship you were in that didn't work, but you can't let go of "it."

"Letting go" doesn't mean running willy nilly with no control over anything you do or say. It means little things.

1. Take some time to reflect about something that has frustrated you or bothered you.

2. Don't dig yourself deeper. Don't make yourself even more upset or annoyed. Don't make false judgments.

3. Just think about WHY that frustrates you.

4. WHY does it bother you, and what you can do to "let go" of it? The more you hang onto whatever it is, the worse you will feel, and the harder it becomes to "let go."

Luke 1:13 says, "Fear not, Zachary, for your prayer is heard."

Isaiah 43:1a-3b says, "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name. You are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."

I don't know about you, but those passages right there seem to be God's way of saying, "No matter what, I got your back." I don't think there's any better wingman you'd want than God. So reflect. Relax. Breathe, and let go. He's got your back no matter what.

No comments: