Monday, May 19, 2008

Having Class vs. Being a Prude

Recently...online (which is just the Mecca of intelligent conversations) I was called a prude. Okay.
I will not delay while you compose yourselves from the laughter that ensued with that comment.

Let's go into the etymology of both words:

Prude - noun - a person who always excessively proper or modest in speech, conduct, dress, etc.

Class - adjective - elegance, grace, or dignity, as in dress and behavior; of high quality, integrity, status, or style.

The connotation with the word "prude" is snyonymous with "fuddy duddy" or "uptight." This is usually a person that doesn't know how to relax and have a good time and is generally always correcting others on their behavior. A "prude" rarely discusses open-minded topics and tends to be more objective than subjective in their thought. Persons who are considered "prudes" are looked down upon.

The connotation of someone with "class" is someone who shows good manners, high integrity, and has the tact to know when various topics should and should not be discussed. Their mind-set is both objective and subjective. Persons who are considered as having "class" are generally looked up to or at least treated no differently.

I consider myself as having class, maturity, and intelligence. Obviously, I can cut loose. I can relax, and I am a diehard smartass as well. Being a prude is not something I consider. After all, would a prude work at a nudist resort for two seasons?

The reasoning as to why I was called a prude is because an online acquaintance and I were talking. It had just stormed here a few minutes prior. I asked him what he was up to. He answered "work." Knowing that he is a security guard that often walks patrols, and it had just rained, I asked, "did you get wet?" I was informed "not yet" with a smirking emoticon wink and some other bawdy comment after that. It was the bawdy comment that made my jovial nature turn to immediate disgust.

This person with whom I spoke was not someone I had met nor had any type of romantic interest or wants to pursue such a relationship with. In a matter of a split second, my opinion of this person was solidified. I had an inkling of such an opinion, but that sealed the cake.

When I informed him I was only asking him if he had gotten wet from the rain at work as it had just stormed where I was (in close proximity to his work), I was told, "what? Why are you such a prude?" I merely ignored the comment.

The following day I received a "what's up" instant message that also went ignored. I then received an instant message the following day that said, "hey I put some new pictures up." So I went and took a gander at them to humor him since he wanted my "opinion" on them.

I log online, I hop onto the site, and there are two photos there. There is one with the face of a girl up close to the camera, she's wearing a black t-shirt, lying stomach down on the bed, and you can see someone standing behind her with hands on her hips. The caption was something along the lines of "my girl getting it from behind" but was supposed to be dripping with $5 words (see other posts). The second photo was the girl now laying on something denim with the caption, "my girl praying to the phallis gods. Note that blue denim is my jeans." Seriously? Someone did not just post those on a public website, and we're supposed to think that's sexy? complimenting? hot?

No, that shows an incredible lack of class. This same person is no longer on my "acquaintances" list and has since been removed from my 'list' on the site of which I spoke in the previous paragraph.

Maybe I'm wrong, but posting random items on public websites to various girls like "Caution: Slippery When Wet" (not regarding the floor) doesn't scream "CLASS" to me.

So if being a prude is the opposite of this person, I take it as a compliment.

No comments: